Today has been a rush! I spent the afternoon running around New York City with my friend and business partner Morgan Kline of Burn Boot Camp. The day started at Ivanka Trump Headquarters for a Facebook Live appearance. And from there it was one thing after another.
I loved changing from heels to running shoes so I could watch Devan and Morgan share workout tips in Central Park for Men’s Journal. It doesn’t get better than that! We all share a passion to make the largest impact possible on this earth by helping others to live a healthier life.
Finally, it was on to Fox and Friends where I helped represent Burn Boot Camp as one of the best fitness jobs in the country. Days like these it doesn’t even feel like work.
It was a big change from just a few days ago when I found myself sitting in my office for hours working on a new online program for you. I can’t wait to tell you more about.
The reality is that many people spend the day sitting at work. In fact, the average person sits six hours a day! That’s why Morgan and I decided to offer some advice during our Facebook Live event to help you give your workspace a healthy makeover.
Let’s start with what’s on your desk. Is there a water bottle? If not, there absolutely should be! It’s important to drink water throughout the day. How much you should drink depends on how much you weigh. A great rule is to take your weight, divide it in half and that’s how many ounces you need. Among other benefits, water can help prevent headaches, ease joint stress and make your skin glow. The best type of water is alkaline water which helps maintain your body’s pH balance. My favorite is Diamond Creek, or, as my family calls it, ‘Velvet Water,’ because it’s so smooth.
Some people don’t like to use recyclable water bottles so another option is keeping a water pitcher on your desk. Using a pitcher is a “green” idea that can reduce contaminants that can be hazardous to your health. My favorite is the Shaklee’s Get Clean Water Pitcher because it can handle up to 80 gallons (twice the amount of a typical filter) This literally will cost you pennies per gallon if you need to fill up at the bathroom sink.
Next, what do you do when you get that mid-morning or mid-afternoon craving for a snack? Please avoid the vending machine at all costs.
- My go-to when I need a pick me up is the Shaklee snack bars. There is ALWAYS a few in my desk drawer. They contain a high-quality plant-based protein,and leucine which is an amino acid to help you keep lean muscle but the best part about them may be what’s NOT in them: no artificial flavors or colors, gluten-free, and non-GMO.
- Turkey jerky is another option. Protein keeps our energy levels high, our moods stable and can boost brain power! Protein also keeps your metabolism revved up so you burn more calories throughout the day.
- Energy Mixes like Gogi berries, cashews, and cacao nibs or pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips are perfect to keep in a clear jar on your desk.
- If you are a salty-crunchy kind of person then Kale Chips might satisfy your craving without the saturated fat or inflammation that would come from traditional chips.
- Of course, you can always make your own like my easy energy bites
Let’s continue our healthy workspace makeover by reducing our stress. No one wants to be stressed out at work! After all, you likely spend 8 hours or more there. I recommend keeping something inspiring or motivational on your desk. It could be a picture of your family or it could be a favorite quote. Taking part in office gossip or joining negative co-workers in complaining about your boss will leave you feeling deflated. Lifting others up and encouraging others to succeed is a much better way to spend your energy and will leave you feeling energized. Remember to take deep breaths when you feel yourself getting tense.
Of course, the best option is to get up and MOVE. Our bodies weren’t built to sit for such long periods of time. Walk to a co-workers desk instead of sending an email, or take a walk around the building at lunch. Set an alarm on your phone if you need to, to remind yourself to get up.
Exercise is a great way to burn some stress. Morgan has a few quick desk workouts you can sneak in throughout the day including a way to kill time at the copy machine!
You should also keep a workout bag under your desk so you are ready when you need it. Morgan has great advice for exactly what should be in it!
And if you missed it LIVE, here’s your chance to check it out!