It’s been a roller-coaster of a week. I don’t mean that in a bad way. It’s just how the week felt to me. Life is like that sometimes. One minute we are up. The next minute we are down. In between there are a few curves, some screams and belly busting laughs. That was my week.
It all led me to a greater revelation about aging and living. Let me tell you how I got there.
If you want to know what’s going on in my life, just look to my prayers. Whatever is on my heart, you can bet I’m praying about it.
This week my heart was heavy for two friends struggling with cancer. I felt frustrated for them. Sad. I know first-hand how a cancer diagnosis changes your life. It’s a startling reminder of how short life can be.
I was reminded again when I realized it was the 2-year anniversary of my Grammy’s death. Monica Nathanson was a special and strong woman.
I still miss her daily and love her so much. I think of her often and always when I make her favorite recipe for my own family.
But as fast as the tears came, so came the laughs as we celebrated my husband Brett’s mom’s 80th birthday later in the day along with a special guest.
She looks amazing at 80, don’t you think? And get this, her husband is 90! She has always been a big Elvis fan so we surprised her with this little performance!
How wonderful to still want to, and, more importantly, be able to dance at 80 years old!
Here’s my big revelation. Drumroll please…. It doesn’t matter how old you are, life is about living. Living in every moment, at every age. I have met so many women lately who are in their 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, even 90’s who are still living their best life. They follow their purpose. They take care of their body. They embrace the process of getting older with confidence and grace.
As we drove home from the birthday party I kept thinking: God is SO good and life is SO short on this earth. Then I wrote a list of what I believe to be true about living your best life at any age.
Here it is
- Live and LOVE with purpose and passion as much as possible!
- Stand strong for what you believe in. –Surround yourself with those that you can love fully and really be YOU without apologizing.
- Be silly and laugh as much as possible (especially at yourself)
- You can always find beauty in a situation if you put yourself in the way of it
- Always be grateful
- Always encourage others, never discourage
- Don’t surrender all your joy for an idea that you used to have for yourself that you can’t “be” anymore
- Have intention and Be fully “awake” to your life
- Don’t NOT do things just because they scare you.
- Jump, take flight and soar… Jump high with hard work intention and heart!
- AND don’t waste another moment.