Seems like every status we read on Facebook or Twitter refers to sickness. They seem fatigued, worn out, and just basically “under the weather”.
Why is this?
Well, our bodies were designed to produce an essential nutrient, but we need the sun for this. With the cold, we may not get outside as often. Another reason is the sun’s distance from us for the winter season. So, our bodies aren’t producing as much Vitamin D3 as it could. Our bodies can’t produce this without the help of UVA and UVB Rays. Our vitamin D levels can actually drop by 50% in the winter.
This is a good way to show your how it develops in your body:
Depleted of vitamin D, your immune system may not be up to its full potential, leaving you more susceptible to certain health concerns. It’s a growing epidemic, according to Dr. Mercola.
Vitamin D has demonstrated support for:
- The prevention of chronic diseases such as many forms of cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension.
- The protection and lubrication of your bones, teeth and hair.
- The regulation of cellular growth and healthy cell activity
- Overall reduction of the inflammatory response, a condition known to cause many chronic diseases, from cancer to diabetes to obesity.
- Protection against adult osteoporosis
- Reduction in the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women
- Significant reduction in the occurrence of prostate cancer in African-American men
What can we do during this time?
Eat foods that contain a great amount of Vitamin D:
- Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon
- Wild Caught Herring
- Sardines (great source for Vitamin B12, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, protein and selenium)
- Wild Caught Tuna fish
- Cod Liver Oil
- Local, Free Range Eggs
If you are a vegetarian, then the best plan of action is a supplement.
Many supplements are synthetic, which you should avoid at all costs! Also, vitamin D in excessive doses can lead to other health concerns. In the landmark study that Shaklee produced, it showed that it’s better to not take any supplements vs. taking synthetic ones. You can read more about synthetic supplements in my previous blog: 3 Types of Supplements.
It’s easy to enjoy being active outdoors most of the year, but when this season hits, we insure our immune system by taking Shaklee’s Vitamin D3!
Stay healthy this winter season!!