Happy Earth Month!! April is the month we focus on our Earth and how we can take care of it for our future generation.
These are just a few reasons. It’s important to realize the choices we make have an impact greater than what we can see. We like the video The Story of Stuff. This gives us some valuable thoughts to ponder.
We may get this concept, but how to we encourage our kids to grow in this understanding?
- Reverse Climate Change, reduce Global Warming and the hole in the Ozone Layer
- To ensure the bright future of our children and our grand children
- To preserve the limited amount of natural resources we have
- To reduce pollution which harms us by contaminating Air, Water and Soil
- Global Inequality – All people should share the world’s resources.
- The direct impact of your daily life
How about a CELEBRATION!!
Here’s some tips for you as you plan your own party to mobilize the next generation to care for their planet!
How to do an EARTH DAY CELEBRATION:
• To celebrate the earth
• To educate kids about healthy foods
• To involve kids in earth friendly projects
• To excite them about their future
An outdoor park where kids can enjoy nature
In your backyard
(all served on re-usable plates, recycled plasticware and cups)
Rainforest Fruit Platter – Discuss the rainforest and how we want to keep it alive!
• Use fruits you would find in a tropical environment and skewer them
Dirt Cups – Discuss the nutrition in our soil
• Make our Brownie Recipe, crumble it up, and serve in small cups with fresh mint as a garnish, or find a healthy-er gummy worm,
• You can also make this Vegan Pudding, crumble gluten free cookies on top!!
Protein Balls (look like the earth)
• Make our Protein Bar recipe and shape them into balls
Make Your Own Trail Mix – Discuss how nature feeds us delicious treats!
• Let the kids make their own trail mix with a variety of dried fruits, nuts, and seeds!
Green Smoothie – fun color to celebrate the day!
• Blend together a pound of green grapes, 1 cup of spinach, a green apple, and a cup of ice. Double for a large crowd!
Serve water in glass jars, like mason jars – Discuss how our water is being polluted, and how we can keep it clean.
• Tie Dye Shirts – discuss earth friendly dyes
• Homemade bird feeders – discuss helping the small creatures, see how to make them here
• Plant their own plants in eggshells – discuss regenerating life, see how to make them here
• Light switch cover decorating – discuss how turning the lights of can help the environment
• Pick up trash at the park, and discuss how we can be a part of keeping the earth clean while getting exercise!!
• Plant a tree together
• Decorate their own Goodie Bag.. use a reusable cloth bag and let them paint statements like about the earth
• Give bags made from recycled materials/reusable shopping bags
• Fill them with plant seeds, glass water bottle, and gardening tools
• Have room for their crafts to take home
Most of all, have fun together enjoying nature! Make this an annual event and send us your pictures of your special day!! We’d love to see your personal take on these suggestions, as well as what your kids thought of the whole experience. Happy Earth Month!!