When it comes to aging, you really are what you eat! It’s summertime and many of us are using sunscreen to protect ourselves from UVA and UVB rays that not only damage our skin, but can also age our skin. But, did you know that there are foods that can age your body just as much as too much sun exposure?
Take my 30 Day Anti-Aging Challenge below after you read about aging foods vs. anti-aging foods.
The Top 3 Foods that Flunk Your Age and get an F- grade are: Fast Foods, Fake Foods and Fried Foods.
1. Fast foods: ex. Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes, and Apple Pie. Most all fast food contains excess t rans fats that make skin look stiff and inflexible, and ultimately, wrinkled. Trans fats also age you on the inside. They increase your risk of heart disease and stroke and are linked to higher risks of developing Type 2 diabetes. The Institute of Medicine determined that there is NO safe consumption of trans fatty acids.
2. Fake foods: ex. Hot Dogs and Deli Cold Cuts….”Don’t make it your way!” at Subway: Sulfites that preserve processed and fake meats are pro-inflammatory and can cause rosacea and make skin look pasty and jaundiced colored. Processed meats are usually high in saturated fats and have nitrates in them. Both of those can lead to inflammation. *Remember, we always want to nourish our bodies with ANTI-inflammatory foods, not pro-inflammatory foods.
Other Fake foods that age our bodies: Bottled lemonade and sugary beverages like soda, processed foods in boxes, cans and freezer bags, corn dogs, cotton candy, candy apples, cheese puffs, and marshmallows for smores. Many of these items contain high amounts of sugar or sugar substitutes. Sugar, which is linked to inflammation, aids in wrinkle production, but it also affects your overall health because it is tied to heart disease and diabetes.
3. Fried foods: ex. Fried Chicken, Potato Chips and French Fries. These foods contain trans fats that clog and stiffen the arteries and small blood vessels and make skin look old. Anything that’s deep-fried in oil can add to inflammation throughout your body. Trans fats raise LDL “bad” cholesterol and lower HDL “good” cholesterol. When reading food labels, avoid products that include “partially hydrogenated oils” and “vegetable shortening.”
These foods do not “pass” when it comes to nourishing our bodies. They “fail” our bodies and age us faster, and they are abundant during the summertime at cookouts, barbecues, camp outs, pool parties and at the beach. This season, you’ll find lots of food trucks and food vendors serving many of these “F-“ foods, too.
The GOOD NEWS is that there are some incredible A+ Anti-Aging foods that are anti-inflammatory, that keep us looking younger and help to slow the aging process.
1. Hydrating water: Clean, filtered water. How much easier can it be? I love adding citrus (lemons, limes and oranges) and fresh herbs (mint, basil) and even cucumbers in my filtered water for a naturally sweet and beautifully flavored hydration drink. I feel like I am at the spa when I drink this water! Water detoxifies and hydrates your skin. It helps your liver clean out impurities in your body and therefore, cleans out your skin. Be sure to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water every day. Get creative here! I’ve even added berries to my water, and the flavor is amazing!
My favorite water purifier is Shaklee’s Get Clean Water System because it reduces 56 contaminants, including lead, for great tasting clean water.
- Rich in medium chain fatty acids which are smaller and easily digested. It is immediately converted to energy instead of being stored as fat. Stimulates our metabolisms and aids in the right kind of weight loss.
- Contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties at help skin heal, plus it is rich in antioxidants and vitamins that make our skin healthier and more supple.
- It’s a natural moisturizer to prevent dryness that is often caused by vitamin deficiencies (or too much sugar).
- The emollient in coconut oil reduces wrinkling and makes skin softer.
- Can eliminate free radicals that age skin. Great for hair and nails, too by adding moisture and antioxidants/vitamins that they are lacking.
- Is a natural antiseptic that prevents bacteria from damaging your skin and causing wrinkles.
- Removes dead skin cells and helps with elasticity of skin.
WildTree just came out with an Organic Coconut Oil that retails around $9 per container, and my friend Jenny Paquette can answer any questions you have about it: mywildtree.com/eatwild
NeriumAD Age-Defying Treatment Creams: A friend of mine, Liz Panepinto, recently introduced me to this skincare line that is rooted in nature, science and high-impact ingredients. The day and night creams have powerful antioxidant properties that help reduce signs of aging. I like this line because it is a plant-based cream and is gluten free and paraben free. I love finding skin care products that are more pure than many of the skin care products that promise to keep you looking younger, but contain harmful ingredients.
Another interesting face is that NeriumAD was originally developed as a natural cure for skin cancer, but was then recognized for fixing wrinkles, fine lines, enlarged pores, brown spots and sun damage. You can find out more about Nerium AD here: www.lpanepinto.nerium.com. Contact Liz with any questions: [email protected]
3. Superfoods, Resveratrol and Black Tea/Green Tea:
By now, most all of you have heard about Superfoods. I have my top 10 favorite superfoods, but there are at least 50 available to us. Superfoods are foods with purpose that nourish our bodies. They are nutrient dense, hard-working foods that are full of antioxidants and support our organs and immune systems. This makes them anti-aging, plus you will feel younger eating them!
For ex. Blueberries not only have flavonoids that are excellent for memory, but they also have a high water content that makes them hydrating to your skin and to your cells. Plus, they are anti-inflammatory.
Here are my top 10 favorite superfoods:
What is Resveratrol?
Resveratrol is polyphenol that has antioxidant properties which protect the body against the kind of damage that is linked to increased risk for conditions such as cancer and heart disease. Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes and in red wine, but other sources include peanuts and berries. It helps reduce inflammation.
One really great source of resveratrol is Vivix from Shaklee. Only Vivix contains both resveratrol and a proprietary phytonutrient blend. This patented phytonutrient blend harnesses the powerful antioxidant properties of rare muscadine grapes and has been shown to be 10X more powerful than resveratrol alone in slowing a key mechanism of cellular aging.
Check out this video that explains how Vivix works: http://content.shaklee.com/shaklee/video/player.php?video=Vivix
Black tea and green tea
Black and green teas contain polyphenols that are plant-based nutrients with antioxidant benefits to help protect against cellular aging. I have to tell you about my favorite Black Tea! It’s called Numi Organic Tea. Not only is it Non-GMO, but the taste is unbelievable. I usually steep my Numi Emperors Puera tea and then add a little almond milk and a few drops of vanilla stevia. This tea is so comforting!
Take my 30 Day Anti-Aging Challenge!
I challenge you today to do a self-motivated, anti-aging challenge for 30 days by swapping out the foods I mentioned above. All you need is a camera phone and a journal. Start whenever you are ready. Use the information in this blog to choose healthy, anti-aging food choices. Journal how your skin, hair and nails look and how much energy you have. Take a “selfie” each time you journal so you can capture how you are progressing. Share this with those you love and encourage them to try this challenge. SHARE your progress with me on my Facebook page (360yourlife), in the comments below, or email me at [email protected]
I can’t wait to hear from you and to see your progress!