When shopping for a good protein source, the information can be overwhelming. Many media sources try to persuade you away from soy. But we have a different story. It’s not soy, but the way it’s been processed that makes it unhealthy. Soy in it’s right form will actually heal your body of many ailments.
Consider these tips when shopping for your soy protein:
7 Essential checklists for a quality soy product:
by: Dr. Brouse
1) Were the soybeans ORGANICALLY GROWN?
Studies have shown decreased levels of food nutrients and increased levels of nitrates in chemically fertilized crops, when compared with their organic counterparts. There is a connection between the ingestion of nitrates & CANCER! Therefore, it is important to know that pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides have not been used during the growing process. In particular, with soybeans, since they are such a hardy plant, a powerful and DEADLY weed spray called Round Up is usually used. For your safety, you must know that your soy products are organically grown. [Shaklee soy is organically grown.]
2) Were the soybeans GENETICALLY ENGINEERED?
Genetically engineered soybeans are much cheaper to purchase, and most companies producing soy products look for ways to save money. [Shaklee soy is certified non-GMO (i.e., it is guaranteed to contain no genetically-modified organism.)]
3) Does your soybean powder contain ALL of the nine essential amino acids?
One of the most valuable features of the soybean is that it is a complete protein and provides ALL nine of the essential amino acids. The body requires these daily to produce hormones, digestive juices, antibodies, and enzymes. HOWEVER, not all soybeans are created equal. Quality and amino acid content will vary based on soil conditions, and variable growing and harvest conditions. If one essential amino acid is missing, the immune system can be depressed 30%, and many important body functions are delayed or stopped. Therefore, it is essential that each batch of soybeans be checked for amino acid content if we want to depend on the soy isolate to provide a GUARANTEED supply of the nine essential amino acids. [Shaklee soy contains all nine essential amino acids.]
4) Were the crushed soy flakes washed in alcohol or water?
Alcohol washing destroys isoflavones content up to 88%! It is the isoflavones that reduce the risk of breast, prostate, lung and bowel cancer! As well, it is the isoflavones that are so beneficial in hormone balancing and increasing bone mass. [Shaklee soy is washed only in water.]
5) Was the “anti-thyroid”, “anti-growth” substance in the raw soy removed?
Asians, who have consumed large amounts of soy for years, have known that RAW soy contains an “anti-growth”, “anti-tyrosine” substance. Tyrosine deficiency will cause low blood pressure, low body temperature, and restless leg syndrome. Therefore, Asians always lightly cook their soy foods to deactivate the “anti-tyrosine/anti-growth” substance. Shaklee has designed an extracting process that removes this substance, yet keeps the soy in a raw form in order to maintain the HIGHEST LEVEL OF AMINO ACIDS and ISOFLAVONES, which are very sensitive to heat. [Shaklee removes all pro-goitrogens from its soy.]
6) Is your soybean food RAW or heated?
Amino acids are very sensitive to heat. In some studies, cooking protein has been shown to destroy up to 50% of some ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS. If an individual consistently consumes a diet that is lacking in all of the essential amino acids, inadequate brain development and hormones, or other body tissue development can be the result. [Shaklee soy is raw.]
7) Has CALCIUM been added to your soy powder?
Some negative reports about soy say that soy powders are VERY ACIDIC and cause bone loss because it causes calcium to be drawn from the bones!!!! The raw soy bean is a NEUTRAL food–neither acidic or alkaline. However, the removal of the soybean oil (which is essential so the soy powder will not go rancid very quickly), makes the powder very acidic. Therefore, adequate calcium (which is very alkaline) must be added to cause the powder to be neutral again, or it can cause the above stated problem. Many protein powder manufacturers do not add any or enough calcium. [Shaklee soy has added calcium for proper pH balance.]
About the Author:
Dr. Brouse is a widely recognized authority in the fields of nutrition and prevention of chronic degenerative diseases. Dr. Brouse has a Master’s in Biochemistry and is a Doctor of Chiropractic. He was an Associate Professor of Clinical Nutrition for 14 years and found the renowned Sunnyside Health Center in Clackamas, Oregon in 1977. Since that time many people throughout the world have regained a greater measure of health while following the recommendations of the clinic’s health professionals.
More about why we choose Shaklee:
- A complete protein containing all of the 9 essential amino acids is essential for long-term human health (Shaklee’s soy contains all 9 essential amino acids). It’s not the protein that is important; it’s the amino acid content of the protein that is important. Further; these Amino Acids are in the same balance as found in the human body.
- Enzymes are essential for protein utilization (when protein is heated to 110° the enzymes are destroyed. The enzymes are necessary for protein utilization. That is why Shaklee does not go over room temperature when producing the product.
- Phyto-chemicals and Phyto-estrogen, which are essential for maximum human health, are not found in animal protein. Although they are not nutrients like vitamins and minerals, scientists believe these plant chemicals show much promise in the prevention of cancer.
- Producing an alkaline condition in the body improves the immune system and reduces the chance of viral and bacterial growth. An acid condition, which is produced when meat and dairy products are eaten, reduces the immune system, increases the level of viral and bacterial growth and will lead to many problems. Soy products are result in an alkaline ash helping to create the alkaline condition essential for long-term health.
- Extracting the protein isolate from Soy using a water wash to maintain the phyto-chemicals and phyto-estrogens in the soy. Many companies use alcohol to wash their soy. Shaklee uses only water to wash the soy, which is why we have the highest levels of phyto-chemicals and phyto-estrogens in our soy.
- Shaklee soy does not raise the blood sugar level. When we start the day by increasing our blood sugar levels we will experience blood level swings, which will cause us to be tired and irritable all day long.
- Animal protein takes too long to digest and as we get older it becomes difficult to properly digest meat, which leaves too much residual acid in the body. Meat contains too much saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Shaklee soy is very digestible, has only 25 calories per tablespoon, is very low in saturated fat, contains no cholesterol and quickly absorbs into the blood, which is very important in maintaining your blood amino levels.
- Most proteins take too long to digest to maintain the amino acid and protein level. The body then must attack the muscles. This is why we lose muscle mass during our lifetime. Shaklee soy is readily available to the blood.
- The lower the carbohydrate ratio to protein, the more valuable the protein is to the body. But, some carbohydrate must be present for the body to metabolize protein.
- The quality of raw material that goes into soy products depends on the soil in which the soy is grown; the conditions under which soy is grown make a large difference in its value. (Also, Shaklee soy products are made from non-GMO [genetically modified] soy plants.)
- Bio-available is a term, which refers to the ability of the body to use the food we eat. Simply, “Is the stuff on the label available to the cells?” All Shaklee products are clinically tested on people, not animals, to prove their components are in the blood stream and available to the cells. Most people can feel the effects of our Soy product within minutes of ingesting it. This feeling is confirmed by tests showing level of amino acids and protein levels in the blood.
- Blood amino acid levels play a tremendous role in maintaining health in the human body. We tend to eat large volumes of food because low blood amino acid levels are never satisfied by saturated foods which are high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. These will alter the body’s performance and never bring the body into balance.
- The storage cells in the body either store fat or protein. Using Shaklee protein daily can help maintain the protein in the storage cells. The body will always have a supply of amino acids stored, reducing muscle loss and fat storage.
- Protein can’t be utilized in our metabolism with out adequate B3, B6, potassium, phosphates, and carbohydrates. Most meals do not contain adequate amounts of the right levels of B and potassium, phosphates, or carbohydrates to properly utilize the protein we are eating. Our Shaklee soy is completely metabolized by the body for full utilization.
- Soybeans contain a full spectrum of natural phytochemical compounds that may have health benefits; compounds like phytates, phytosterols, saponins, phenolic acids and protease inhibitors. What really sets soy apart from other plant foods is a class of compounds called isoflavones.
- Soy is the highest quality protein available from nature. We are what we eat. Our health is going to be affected by the quality of protein we consume. Shaklee soy is the very best money can buy.
- Shaklee does 26 separate tests on every raw material that is used to insure the highest quality possible. If any one of the tests fails, the raw materials are rejected.
- Stress is the greatest factor in protein utilization in the body. Under stress the body’s demand for amino acids increases six times. Soy is so readily available to the body; it can help counter these changes. Other proteins just take too long to digest and do not supply an adequate amount of amino acids. So in most cases the body must attack the muscles to try and get the amino acids that are needed.