My very best friend, Gilda is one of the most amazing natural cooks I know. I look up to her in so many ways as a business woman and also in the way she feeds her family. We have been friends for over 25 years and we both share a strong passion for living healthy and loving life. Every time I visit her family, she is always making something new and delicious and, of course, healthy.
Recently, I partnered up with her on a Healthy Happy Hour night where we educated a group of women on healthy habits, recipes and supplements. One of my favorite recipes that Gilda prepared that night was this amazing 7 later dip with this vegan cashew cheese! This is one of those recipes that looks good as soon as you see all the ingredients on your kitchen counter. And before you think you’ve recipes for 7 layer dip before I’m betting you haven’t seen one like this! This one is a no brainer you guys! Seriously!
First, layer 2 cans of Eden or wholefoods refried beans. Get the green chile ones if they have it so you don’t need to add seasoning. If you can only find plain beans add lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and a couple cans of chopped green chiles drained to taste. I just mix in a bunch of stuff without measuring, but I keep tasting until its right. I call mixing without measuring personal growth for someone like me who used to be terrified in the kitchen and couldn’t cook at all!
Next.. add your favorite salsa.
Step three: throw on some chopped bell peppers, whatever kind you like. I told you this was easy.
You are half way done. This is where it gets good. Now grab about 4 avocados and mash them up… add a little lime juice, salt ,and pepper to taste.
I know it’s killing you not to take a giant spoon already but wait, just a little longer.
I am a big believer of getting kids involved in the kitchen so I asked my daughter Reagan to help. She was in charge of cutting tomatoes.
Now layer the tomatoes and scallions
Looks like nacho cheese right? Not quite. We wanted to make this a vegan recipe so we made vegan cashew nacho cheese instead of regular cheese. It might sound weird but it is sooooooo good! It starts with a few ingredients.
Bake in the oven until its all melty and bubbly. I have made this dip several times since that first night and it has been a huge hit every time. My family tore into it for the Women’s World Cup Finals!
I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I must give credit where credit is due. Thanks Gilda for this awesome recipe!
- 3 packages of cherry or grape tomatoes chopped
- 4 bell peppers chopped (green, red, orange, yellow)
- 1 bunch scallion chopped green parts only
- 4 -5 avocados mashed. If you are using a ceramic bowl, prime the bowl by taking a peeled garlic clove cut lengthwise and rubbing the garlic on the entire surface. Mash avocado add lime juice salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cans of eden or wholefoods refried beans, get the one with green chiles if they have it, that way you don’t need to add extra seasoning. If you can only find plain add lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and a couple cans of chopped green chiles drained to taste. I just mix in a bunch of stuff never measure but I keep tasting until its right.
- 1-2 jars of fresh mild salsa, you can use pico de gallo or any jarred salsa you like
- 1 large bag of organic cheese 16oz bag
- 2 small cans of sliced American olives or 1 large can drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take a large casserole dish and spread refried beans on bottom.
- First layer, salsa/pico de gallo
- 2nd layer , chopped peppers
- 3rd layer, guacamole
- 4th layer, chopped tomatoes
- 5th layer, chopped scallion
- 6th layer, cheese
- 7th layer chopped olives on top.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes uncovered
- The key with this dip is to pack in as many veggies as possible.
- I usually try to go pretty light on the cheese. You can also substitute cheese with nacho cashew cheese and it is a vegan dish.
Here is the recipe for cashew nacho cheese
- 2 cups cashews soaked and drained
- 2 cups water add more if cheese it is too thick
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1 heaping tsp garlic powder
- 1 heaping tsp onion powder
- 2- 3 tsp salt to taste
- 7 ounce jar of pimientos with liquid
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Combine all ingredients in vitamix or blender until smooth.